Thursday, April 7, 2011

Yogurt....

I have NEVER liked yogurt, at all. I've always had the hardest time eating it. I just couldn't get past the after taste, I hated it. I would try it periodically to see if my taste bud changed at all, but to no avail. Yogurt and I seemed destined to be enemies for eternity....at least until recently.

When I was pregnant with James, I was GBS positive. GBS stands for Group Beta Strep, basically it had no impact on me, but unless I was given an antibiotic during labor, there was a risk that James could get very sick. So I got the antibiotic and everything was fine...until I found out that the antibiotic also killed all my good bacteria, leaving me susceptible to yeast infections, which I could then pass on to James...NOT GOOD. When I asked the nurse about it, she just, "Just eat yogurt and you'll be fine, the yogurt will replace the good bacteria that was lost." Eat yogurt?!? I was devastated. But, I didn't want to risk getting a yeast infection and pass it on to my baby so I decided to choke down some yogurt the next day.

At the hospital, they have a menu that patients can order their food from. They had plain yogurt on there and a yogurt parfait thing that had yogurt, berries, and granola. I decided to start with the parfait thing because I like berries and granola so I hoped that would make it slightly more tolerable. I did not care for the yogurt that much, but it was not as bad as I remembered it being.

When we got home from the hospital, Dan bought a big container of Vanilla yogurt and a box of granola for me. At first, my bowls of yogurt were mostly granola with a little yogurt mixed in. Now, amazingly enough, I can eat yogurt without granola added. It's a miracle! :) Still, I like to add granola because I like granola. This morning I also added strawberries...so good!

2 comments:

  1. YOGURT! I love yogurt. But I know how that can be -- I'm the same way with grapefruit. I will just never like grapefruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im SO happy you like yogurt now! yogurt is one of my favorites! YAY for yogurt. we should double date sometime to yogurtland?

    ReplyDelete