Saturday, May 29, 2010

Holy Guacamole

Unless you are a member of my immediate family, you probably don't know that guacamole and I have a bit of a sordid past. I'll spare you the details, but about 6 years ago this very weekend, I had some guacamole with some taquitos. No big deal right? Well, the next day I felt very ill. And the next day. And the next day after that. Let's just say for like a week after that I was spending lots of time in the bathroom. Ok, so maybe I lied about sparing you the details. :)

Anyway, ever since then I have not been able to touch the stuff. I always liked it before, but my body refused to let me eat it after this incident. I was even making some guacamole one time with some friends, and I had to stop and let someone else finish it. Well, I just want to declare that this last Thursday I ate guacamole for the first time in these last 6 years. I was with Lisa's family at Los Hermanos, and they had all the chips out before our meals came. They had to go with them salsa, cheese dip, and yes, guacamole. Lisa wanted me to try it. I dipped the chip in it, brought it to my mouth, but then I just couldn't put it in. I tried a second time and couldn't do it. I don't remember what it was, but something made me motivated to get it into my mouth. So, I dipped again, didn't let myself think about it at all, and hurried and put it in my mouth. Victory was mine! It did taste pretty good, but still, my stomach turned over a little as if asking me, "What do you think you're doing?! Don't you remember what happened the last time you did that?" I actually got one more chip with guacamole down, but that was enough for me. I still don't think I can eat more than very small quantities. In fact, as I've been writing this, my stomach has been turning a little. But I just wanted to boast of my feat to all the world. Who knows? Maybe in another 6 years I can try it again.

1 comment: