Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Mountain - Worst Sports Channel in the History of the Universe

Let me preface my post by saying that I'm already in somewhat of a bad mood right now due to the fact that my city league basketball team was robbed of a victory tonight by the officials. But I won't go into that. I just want to vent a little bit about how absolutely terrible the Mountain is run. For those of you who follow teams in the Mountain West Conference, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

First of all, who picks the games they show? I mean seriously. Case and point tonight. You've got two teams playing tonight (UNLV and New Mexico) who are tied for 1st place in the conference and both are nationally ranked. Clearly this is the marquee matchup of the night, so it would make sense to show that game, right? Wait.... This is the Mountain we're talking about. Let's show the 5th and 8th place teams for all to see. I understand maybe they need to show all the teams an equal amount, but they've got to be able to shuffle broadcasts around to accommodate this. We want to see the big games!

Ok, now let's talk about the conference tournament broadcasts. This is something that has gotten on my nerves for a long time. They always show the semifinals of the conference tournament on CSTV (now CBS C). How do you figure that people? There's hardly any packages that include CBS C. I'm probably just bitter because my basic Comcast package doesn't include it, but seriously, it would make sense to show conference tournament games on the channel that's supposed to be dedicated to the conference, right? Wait.... This is the Mountain we're talking about. Let's show these crucial games on the channel with the smallest audience!

Now, I can't be venting about the Mountain and not mention their amateur camera work and bewildering commentators. Again, if you've ever watched anything on the channel, you know exactly what I'm talking about. When watching a football game, I can't begin to count how many times the camera is 2-3 seconds behind the play, resulting in not even getting to see the play. Basketball is a little better, but there seems to be a glaring lack of replays. There's so many times when there's a controversial call and I would like to review it myself. It would make sense to show replays of these for the viewers to see again, right? Wait.... This is the Mountain we're talking about. Why would anyone want to see replays?

And the commentators... Oh the commentators.... Do they have anyone who knows anything about what they're talking about? There was this play tonight where a guy is going in for a layup and a guy from the other team hustles back and blocks it out of bounds. It was a very good defensive play. The commentator says something like, "That was a good play, but I'd like to see him tip it back to a teammate." Excuse me?! How exactly do you tip it back to a teammate when you're flying back on defense trying to prevent a score? I've been perplexed by so many comments they make.

I could go on, but I'm sure I'm just preaching to the choir. I feel much better having said all that. While it's probably not likely to happen, maybe we can hope for BYU to join the Pac-10 if for no other reason than to get off of the excuse of a network that is the Mountain.

1 comment:

  1. You mean you actually want to see replays? Why would anyone want to see a replay?

    For that matter, why would anyone actually want to see the play at all? The random shots of fans are SO much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete