Saturday, February 13, 2010

Provo Canyon Trail

So last night Dan and I decided to walk down part of the bike path that leads up to Vivian Park in Provo Canyon. We were on the part just north of Riverwoods and south of mouth of the canyon. We were walking along, chatting pleasantly, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a dead furry thing. Because I am who I am, I jumped and gave a startled gasp. I couldn't tell what it was at first. The possibility that entered into my head was that it was some sort of dog. Then I realized it was a very large deer. Poor Dan had no idea what had startled me so he started looking around really quickly to see what could be wrong. I pointed out the dead deer right by the side of the path. We commented on how sad that was and about where the deer may have been headed when it was hit, and we kept walking.

A minute or two later, I jumped again. (That shouldn't surprise those of you who know me, I jump a lot.) I saw another dead deer. Again, I managed to startle Dan because he didn't know what had made me jump. That deer was smaller and it looked young. It was also very sad. After that I told Dan that he needed to spot them before I did so that he could warn me so I wouldn't jump. Sure enough, a minute later Dan saw another dead deer. A few minutes after that we saw a fourth dead deer. That one was just a little baby deer. It was so small.

All in all, we saw 4 dead deer in less than a quarter of a mile. It was sad to see so many dead deer. They didn't look like they had been laying there for long. I guess the moral of this story is, be careful and watch for deer when you are driving....and if you ever see me jump, don't be too surprised because that happens a lot.

3 comments:

  1. Lisa failed to mention the "Rich <3 Lisa" we found spray-painted on the trail. I'm still trying to find out who Rich is, so I can pay him a visit and do what I do best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and in case you don't know, <3 is supposed to be a heart.

    At the same time though, Rich certainly is less than 3 Lisas.

    ReplyDelete