Sunday, January 10, 2010

How It All Began

The story of our journey together begins in a time not long ago and in a location not far away. We thought it would be fun to tell how it all came to be from each of our perspectives.

Dan:
I have known Lisa for about 2 and a half years now, and by about April/May of last year we had become pretty good friends. Earlier in the year it seemed like there were several dating prospects, but by that time it seems like they had all just about fizzled out. Just like any other single LDS guy advancing in his 20s, I began thinking about other possible dating opportunities. I remember sitting in sacrament meeting one Sunday in late May I think it was, and my mind began to wander to this topic once again (yes, I should have been paying attention to the speaker, but we all know how hard that can be sometimes :)). While thinking about it all, the distinct thought came to my mind, "What about Lisa?" I let the thought linger there a bit and thought, "Yeah..... what about Lisa?" I always thought she was very nice and fun to be around, and I decided I should try to see if there was anything there. So, over the next several weeks, I began to "test the waters" as I like to put it. You know, make sure you're around her a lot, save your best jokes for her, that kind of thing. Well, the further I went into it, the more it seemed like there could be a mutual interest. So, by about July I decided I wanted to ask her on a date. Now, for those of you who know me, this is no simple task. During the month, we did lots of stuff together, but I could never quite get up the courage. Finally, in August, a perfect opportunity was presented to extend the invite, and I did (for which I will be forever grateful). The date was a lot of fun. Since we already knew each other very well, we could both relax (as much as you can on a first date anyway) and just enjoy one another's company. I even felt comfortable enough to reach out and hold her hand. :D Needless to say, things moved very quickly from that point as we continued to get to know each other and fall madly in love.

Lisa:
So when Dan moved into my ward about two and half years ago, I thought, "He's kind of cute." But there was this rumor going around that he was engaged so I never really thought anything else about that for a while. Dan was the home teacher for my best friend, Fawn. Fawn would invite Dan over to game night and we would play games on Sunday nights. It was a lot of fun and I started to get to know how fun and amazing Dan is. :) We started to become better friends. In May of 2009, last year, I organized this hike to the Subway in Zions Canyon. I knew that Dan liked to hike so I invited him along. On that trip, I started to think, "Hmmm...he's a lot of fun to be around, I wonder if there could ever be anything there." Then in June, a group of our friends went to watch the Summerfest Parade together and Dan came along. After the parade and fireworks and whatnot, I dropped Dan off at his car. My very good friends, Sofi and Skyla were in the car with me. After Dan got out of the car, they both piped up and said, "You should date Dan!" I hadn't really told anyone that I was kind of interested in him yet so the question caught me off guard. I asked them why they thought that and they just said that they thought that we would look cute and be good together. I found some way to try and change the topic and I dropped them off. Our group went to Fountain Green the next week and I got the chance to know more about Dan on that trip. One thing always to remember...NEVER WAKE DAN UP... :) Sofi went to wake him up for breakfast one morning and vowed never to do so again. He actually wasn't that grouchy, he just had a very deep voice that early in the morning. Anyway, the trip was a lot of fun and I started to think more seriously about whether or not I really wanted to get to know him better and I decided that I did. Over the next few months we hung out a lot. I really liked Dan a lot, but I had no clue that he was at all interested in possibly being more than a friend. Then, to my great surprise, Dan asked me out on a date. I was very excited. :) We went up to this meadow that I love to go to. Dan had never been there and I wanted to show it to him. We played around up at the meadow for a while then we started to walk back. As we were walking back, we stopped at this bridge and Dan joked about pushing me off into the small stream below. I don't remember exactly how it happened, but he reached for my hand and I held his so we held hands the rest of the way down the trail. From there things just got better...hence the reason we are where we are today. :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh! I get to be first to comment!
    I'm so happy for you two. Both Jennie and Stephen are blessed to have you as friends.

    Now, when things settle down, will you help find someone for them too?!

    Best wishes for the rest of your life.
    Sis. Allred

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you guys! I think it is awesome you are doing this blog. Congrats again on the engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is such a fun idea! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete